As this course provides a comprehensive introduction to 5G, it is tailor-made for companies eager to explore and implement the transformative potential of 5G. Designed to cover multiple facets of 5G technology, our course is ideal for forward-thinking organizations seeking to understand the fundamentals, explore diverse applications, and strategically integrate 5G into their unique contexts.
Background in telecommunication networks is a plus, but not required.
The language of instruction is English, which requires a sufficient command of the English language.
The course will be given from 9h30-17h30, on following days:
- Tuesday, April 16th
- Monday, April 22nd
- Tuesday, April 23rd
The course will be held at The Beacon, Sint Pietersvliet 7 in the centre of Antwerp.
The Beacon is easily reachable by public transport and parking options (Waagnatie & Grote Markt) are available at a 5 minute walk distance.
Please remember that The Beacon is located in the LEZ zone and that the rules regarding parking on the street have been made stricter.
Surrounded by restaurants and bars, this is the place to be with Antwerp's city center and the lively district 't Eilandjes just a stone's throw away.
The fee for this course is 1200 euro.
You can pay via transfer, an invoice can be requested in the subscription form, if needed.
This course is co-organized by professors and research experts in the domain of mobile telecommunication networks, 5G in particular, from three universities: the University of Antwerp, Ghent University and the Vrije Universiteit Brussel.
The courses is coordinated by prof Johann Marquez-Barja (University of Antwerp), Peter Schelkens (VUB), Jeroen Hoebeke (Ghent University) and Ingrid Moerman (Ghent University).
- Understand the fundamentals of 5G technology
- Explain the key features, capabilities and benefits of 5G
- Identify the technical components and architecture of 5G networks
- Understand the spectrum allocation and deployment considerations for 5G
- Understand the components of 5G networks
- Evolution from 4G to 5G
- Key features and benefits of 5G technology
- Overview of 5G use cases and industry applications
- Overview of Radio Access Network (RAN) and Core Network
- Introduction to network slicing and virtualisation
- Understand the role and components of the 5G Core Network (5GC)
- Comprehend the key architectural elements and functionalities of the 5GC
- Identify the benefits and capabilities of the 5GC in comparison to previous generations
- Recognise the challenges and considerations in deploying and managing the 5GC
- Introduction to 5G Core Network
- 5G Core Network architecture
- Functionalities and features of 5G Core Network
- Stand Alone vs. Non-Stand Alone deployments
- Understand the regulatory frameworks and legal considerations related to 5G technology
- Comprehend the key policy and regulatory challenges in 5G deployment
- Identify the legal implications and requirements for 5G network operators and stakeholders
- Recognise the importance of privacy, security, and data protection in the context of 5G
- Introduction to 5G regulation and law
- Regulatory Frameworks for 5G
- Policy and regulatory challenges
- Privacy, security and data protection in 5G from the legal perspective (technical aspects will be covered in the security session)
- Data Governance Act
- Understand the importance of security in 5G networks and its implications
- Comprehend the key security challenges and vulnerabilities in 5G technology
- Identify the security mechanisms and solutions employed in 5G networks
- Recognise the best practices and considerations for ensuring 5G network security
- Introduction to 5G security
- Security challenges in 5G
- Security/privacy challenges due to new technologies (SDN, NFV, MEC, slicing)
- Security/privacy challenges in Open-RAN
- 5G security architecture
- Privacy, security and data protection methods
- Authentication/access control
- Understand the technoeconomic aspects of 5G technology
- Comprehend the key factors and considerations influencing the economics of 5G networks
- Identify the cost and revenue drivers in 5G deployments
- Recognise the opportunities and challenges for businesses in the 5G ecosystem
- Introduction to 5G techno-economics
- Business models
- Cost drivers in 5G networks
- Revenue oportunities
- Return of investment
- Business strategies and value chain
- Understand the concept of 5G verticals and their relevance in various industries
- Comprehend the key use cases and applications of 5G in vertical sectors
- Identify the challenges and opportunities in implementing 5G trials in vertical industries
- Recognise the potential impact of 5G on different sectors and the broader economy
- Introduction to 5G verticals
- Key use cases and applications
- Challenges in implementing trials
- Vertical specific trials
- Connected vehicles
- Smart mobility
- Smart cities and infrastructure
- Industrial IoT
- Future trends